Friday, August 13, 2010

193 - The Winning Number

193 was the magic number.

As many of you know, for a month straight I had a social media campaign going: to win the title of the Young & Free Ontario Spokesperson. Last week I found out that it wasn't going to happen. The votes were cast and counted, and a mere 193 votes stood between winning and well ... not winning. 

So what did I take away from this? What did I learn? Well, let me explain.

When I was growing up, I was an avid runner. I trained with a local track club and LOVED my 100 meter sprints. The one thing that you always learn as a beginner is to NEVER SLOW DOWN at the end of your race. When you see the finish line, speed up. You never know who is right behind you, just waiting for you to slow down, ready to pass. If you want to win, push it to the end and never give up.

Well, if I take what I learned from track and applied it to my  time campaigning, I slowed down. I thought I had it made. There was NO REASON why they wouldn't pick me. I was already winning (in my head).  Well, my pride (for lack of a better word) got the better of me, and now here I am standing in the dust.

I could kick and complain, saying people cheated and I should have won, but really...it's time I take ownership of my part in all of this.  I could have (and should have) tried harder. I could have gotten (and should have gotten) more votes . 

But all of this is to say how important it is to never slow down and to always take ownership for your part.

And now that being said, another lesson to be learned is: If you think your vote doesn't count, think again. Your vote (and opinion) always counts. Whether you think so or not.

May the number 193 always be your reminder :)

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. ahh i so wanted u to win it!!! :( i hope somethin better comes your way!!! :D

    ReplyDelete